Old Dogs, New Tricks encourages small business owners, for whom the vast majority of Americans daily work, as they adapt and succeed in an environment that includes the opportunity of Social Media.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

So This is How It Works

In a recent post (FACEBOOK: The Reality Show on May 17, 2011), I mentioned that I sought help for a computer problem via Facebook and "in less than 12 minutes a new friend that I have gotten to know through a mutual friend [gave me] the name and number of a professional who repairs computers quickly and inexpensively, for future reference." 

In short, several months ago I had acquired a new friend on Facebook (Stella) by connecting with her through a personal friend (Abby).  Stella worked for years in a near by local Post Office and seems to know about half of Western Civilization, though I previously had not met her.  When my laptop refused to punch in for the work day, my anxiety grew and I sent out an S.O.S. message on Facebook.  Stella responded in less than a quarter hour by recommending Linda Maihle (724.256.8852), who repairs, services and supports computers in southwest Butler County, and the surrounding area. 

Last week, when my laptop went on strike and threatened to never show up for work again, Linda rescued me.  Thankfully, Linda is as good at healing sick computers as Stella recommended.

Watch this closely:

1. I took my laptop, twice, to Best Buy.
2. I received a free evaluation at Best Buy, recommending a service call to my home to work on our wireless router and the laptop.
3. Best Buy spends $Kajillion Dollars on advertising their Geek Squad.
4. I contacted Linda Maihle through a new Facebook friend.

Why?

In last week's videos, you may have noticed info like this:

90% of consumers trust peer recommendations
Only 14% trust advertisements
Only 18% of traditional TV campaigns generate a positive ROI [Return On Investment]

Like I've been trying to tell you, Social Media is the small business owner's best friend, leveling the playing field against larger businesses with big advertising budgets.

Big Box Business (Best Buy)                    0
Small Business Owner (Linda Maihle)     1

(Now you know who to call when your computer calls in sick - and it ain't Ghost Busters, or Best Buy)

Thanks for sharing 98 seconds of your day,
Smitty

       

No comments:

Post a Comment