Old Dogs, New Tricks encourages small business owners, for whom the vast majority of Americans daily work, as they adapt and succeed in an environment that includes the opportunity of Social Media.

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Steve Jobs Died This Week; So...

Steve Jobs died this week; so did the parent of three different friends of mine.

Three friends of mine lost a parent this week.  No, the world won't pause to reflect on the lives of my friends' parents.   Others across the planet won't post on Facebook or write a blog about these three.   The public won't share videos and quotes of my friends' parents.

In one video I viewed, Mr. Jobs said: "Those people who think they are crazy enough to think they can change the world, those are the people who actually do."   My friends' parents changed the world, my world, simply by making the lives of my friends possible.

Like George Bailey in It's A Wonderful Life, we all leave our imprint on this world.  Yes, when you're gone, "they" will talk about you in the funeral home.  What would you like them to say?  Perhaps this is the most valuable thing the passing of a celebrity like Steve Jobs provides:  it causes us to pause from all our "busyness" to reflect upon the meaning of our lives.

What would you like them to say about you at the funeral home?

For me, it's simple.  I'd like to be remembered as a man who knew God well, because my belief and faith in Jesus Christ is really the most important element of my life.  I heard a sermon about "The Rest of Your Life" last Sunday.  My plan is to spend the rest of my life on that.  I know that I won't change the world, but I'd like to make a difference for a few dear people.

How about you?  I hope you're crazy enough to think you can change the world.  Get busy, the world is waiting for you.

(enjoy the brief video)

Thanks for sharing 77 seconds of your day,
Smitty

No comments:

Post a Comment